Friday, August 23, 2013

Take a deep breath and dive in.

Well folks, this is it. The last full day my daughter is in the US is here. Tomorrow morning at 8:30am she takes off, alone, for her next adventure. 

YES abroad students serve as “youth ambassadors” of the United States, promoting mutual understanding by forming lasting relationships with their host families and communities. Caillean will come back to the US in June and teach about her experience and what the culture of Oman looks like. Before this program, I couldn't have even found Oman on a map. Now I am excited for my daughter's experiences and thinking about her return is what keeps me moving forward on days like today.

I can not even begin to express what I am feeling. Needless to say there is an impending separation and accompanying sadness. That feeling has become so familiar that I am almost numb to it. (I did say almost.) There is a sweetness in having spent a great summer together and the bitter realization that this time is winding down. There is deep gratitude for my husband and his unwavering support. Gratitude for my family members and friends that have gone out of their way to show Caillean support. Caillean and I often comment on how cool it is to walk into a place and have someone who we thought was a complete stranger walk up and wish her luck. The local  N Magazine, (pg 33)  was kind enough to feature her this month as was Gene Mahon and Kristen Kellogg who put together this video about her travels. http://vimeo.com/72548757. My dear friend Dionne and sister in law Tracy helped me pull together a fantastic going away party. Another dear friend emailed me last night to let me know she was thinking of us and was here if we needed anything. The support of this community has been genuine and comforting. It has meant so much to all of us. I have learned from others about separation and know that we are not the only people who miss their children when they go off into the world. 

As Greg said to me last night, we have done our job. We have provided our girl with all that we could have. We have nurtured her nature and now she takes flight. I know she will soar high and her bright and compassionate self will bring great happiness to all who are around her. We have told Caillean that this day is like the moment you prepare to dive through a wave. You know you will come out the other side and that it may be shockingly cold but you commit, hold your breath, and jump in. When you come out the other side you are still you but you have experienced the ocean. You will be wet and your hair may be a mess but the experience you have you cannot have any other way. You just have to jump in. You may even enjoy it and want to do it again and again.  Now's the time for Caillean to know, you can't control the tide but you can learn to ride the waves. 

Please keep Caillean in your thoughts, prayers, and hearts. She is a remarkable young lady about to do something I couldn't even fathom at her age. Follow her blog and cheer her on. Know that children are a gift, and they do grow up, quickly. And never under estimate the importance of our connections to one another. We can offer others such comfort in genuine actions and kind words. 




2 comments:

  1. So nicely put words, Sunny! I wanted to cry reading that part about ocean and waves! I have to save that part and tell this to my daughter in 15 years :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 don't be afraid to love your children boldly.

    ReplyDelete